The Sidney Sun-Telegraph - Serving proudly since 1873 as the beautiful Nebraska Panhandle's first newspaper

 
 

By M. Timothy Nolting
For The Sun-Telegraph 

Across The Fence: Massacre Canyon

 

On July 2, 1873, a hunting party of Pawnee left their reservation near Genoa, Neb., on the Loup River. It was customary for the Pawnee to mount an organized buffalo hunt in the early summer and late fall of each year.

Since their confinement to the reservation in east central Nebraska, these hunts were supervised by a sub-agent from the reservation that was chosen by the tribal council and approved by the agency. In the summer of 1873, John W. Williamson, a young and inexperienced sub-agent, was selected for the job.

Williamson was a young farmer who had been hired to instruct the Pawnee in...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 

Reader Comments

(0)
 
 
 
Rendered 03/01/2017 17:42