The Sidney Sun-Telegraph - Serving proudly since 1873 as the beautiful Nebraska Panhandle's first newspaper

Across the Fence: New eyes on the Panhandle

 

According to the records of the U.S. Surveyor General's Office in Plattsmouth, Nebraska on January 20th, 1885 the entire Nebraska Panhandle consisted of only four counties. The southern half of the Panhandle was Cheyenne County and the northern half was divided into three counties of fairly equal size being Sioux, Dawes and Sheridan Counties. Eventually Cheyenne County would be split into seven smaller counties that now include Banner, Deuel, Garden, Morrill, Kimball and Scotts Bluff Counties. Sheridan and Sioux Counties retained their original boundaries but Dawes County split off its sout...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018