Sidney Elks Lodge 1894 Receives Six-figure Grant
December 1, 2022
The Elks Lodge building has been a cornerstone of Sidney, Nebraska since it was commissioned in 1929 to be the city auditorium, city offices and event center. Legendary entertainers such as Duke Ellington, Lawrence Welk and the Ted Williams Band featuring Perry Como have all performed there over the years.
The building was acquired in 1978 by the local Elks Lodge 1894. For the last 44 years, the building has hosted countless community, charitable and private events at its historic location on Jackson Street in the heart of downtown Sidney. The Elks Lodge is proud of their long-standing tradition of service to the community and veteran's affairs.
During its existence, the building has undergone several renovation projects, and they are currently working on the next project that will upgrade the heating and cooling systems, restrooms, windows, electrical capacity and, most importantly, removing the false ceiling in the main ballroom and restoring the building to its original glory.
The Elks Lodge has been awarded a historical grant that will contribute $415,000 towards the total cost of the project, but that grant requires a match along with other expenses not covered by the grant award amount. The project will commence soon, so the Elks Lodge is applying for other related grants and has scheduled several fund-raising events, including the upcoming New Year's Eve Casino Night. They have set their goal for an additional $400,000 by January 1, 2023.
The Elks Lodge building is currently the only venue that can host community and private events of significant size in Sidney and the southern panhandle region. It is important to preserve this historic landmark building to ensure the community always has a place for local events and gatherings.
The Elks Lodge asks to please consider donating to this project so they can continue to provide the venue for the community and to host events. Donations may be dropped off at the Elks Lodge, located at 1040 Jackson St. in Sidney.