Serving proudly since 1873 as the beautiful Nebraska Panhandle's first newspaper

Cheyenne County revokes bond in vehicle homicide case

CHEYENNE COUNTY – The Cheyenne County Attorney Paul Schaub announced after hours on Thursday night that the man involved in a fatal truck vs car homicide case failed to appear in court for his preliminary hearing; the county revoked his bond and issued a bench warrant.

The 25-year-old California man, Gurjeet Singh, who was arrested earlier this year on Cinco De Mayo, May 5, in connection with a fatal truck vs car accident failed to make it to his preliminary court hearing on Thursday, July 20. Subsequently, the county filed paperwork to have his bond revoked and issued a bench warrant for his arrest. As of Monday, July 24, Singh's self-paid 10% cash, or $4,500, for his $50,000 bond had been revoked by Cheyenne County Court. Singh posted his bond five days after his arrest on May 10.

In addition to having his current bond revoked, the court issued a $100,000, 10% cash, with the bench warrant for his arrest. Court documents indicate the state filed a motion to complete forfeit Singh's bond once rearrested on the failure to appear.

In the issuing court documents it reads:

"Defendant (Singh) was ordered to appear in said court on July 20, 2023 for preliminary hearing and defendant did not comply with such order. The undersigned finds that this warrant is supported by occurrence in the presence of the court."

Adding, "Therefore you are ordered to immediately arrest said defendant wherever he may be found and bring him promptly before this court or any judge or magistrate having jurisdiction of this matter to answer such complaint and be further dealt with according to law."

"Bail bond guaranteeing defendant's appearance before this court is herby fixed in the sum of $100,000 ten percent bond, which may be collected by the arresting agency or a court competent jurisdiction in the county of arrest. Bail bond shall contain a date certain for defendant's appearance in this court," the court documents included.

According to the Nebraska State Patrol, the crash took place at approximately 4:40 p.m. on Friday, May 5, at the intersection of Link 17J and Old Post Road in Sidney.

"Preliminary investigation shows that a Nissan Maxima was eastbound on Old Post Road when it was struck on the passenger side by a semi that was traveling northbound on Link 17J," Nebraska State Patrol previously told the Sun-Telegraph. "Troopers discovered that the semi had run a red light at the intersection and collided with the Nissan.

The two young 16-year-old passengers were transported to Sidney Regional Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, however, Sidney resident Lori Wiens, 48, was pronounced deceased at the scene.

Singh was charged with motor vehicle homicide and second degree assault.

Wiens had been driving when the Nissan was fatally struck near the Walmart and McDonalds intersection. One of the girls was later transported to a Colorado Hospital for further treatment.

Just last month, prosecutors dropped a manslaughter charge against the California semi-truck driver due to the more serious charges the county felt confident in moving forward with.

Singh was originally charged with manslaughter, a class 2A felony, which was later dropped, motor vehicle homicide-reckless or willful, a class 3A felony and second degree assault, a class 2A felony. The county attorney didn't know for certain if additional charges would be sought at this time, but assured the Sun-Telegraph his office would notify the paper if that should change.

This is a developing story and the Sun-Telegraph will continue to follow this case, please check back for future updates.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 05/23/2024 08:11